Thursday, January 29, 2009

What did Scarlet say about tomorrow...

Sa kapfet? Whats happening.....?
Not much happened yesterday, just some last minute planning for the Boston team, on going planning for the Portland team and nothing exciting happening.
Today just before leaving to visit a special education school downtown, a mom stopped me to ask for help for her baby- he was so floppy- I don't think he had any bones in his little body. Certainly he was simply a raggedy andy doll- I was being called away and I have been feeling more distressed about him all day. Yasmine said he was a floppy kid - like she sees it all the time. I don't believe I've ever seen anything like that...

CES- Centre des Education Specialities. This is a special education school and parents bring their kids here but also the parents meet with kids to learn how to meet their needs as well as how to teach the kids, then they return each week to measure progress. I don't really see them as needing HHH -

Following that visit we stoppped at the mayors office and met with the deputy mayor so Soeurette could arrange for/ reserve a family space at carnival- They brought us a pot of coffee with tiny cups - and a long conversation ensued with different people and apparently she got what she wanted by the time we left.

This afternoon Yasmine and I visited an orphanage called Institut Espoir- also known as Rainbow of Love. There are 78 kids - 52 normal kids and more than they normally have- apparently they rec'd quite a few kids after the hurricanes killed their parents. The remaining 26 kids are pretty disabled - I saw only 2 that could walk. My team will go there and spend a couple of days with the kids and caregivers, making assessments and offering some assistance or training. This orphanage seemed to have all of the toys in Haiti- What a difference to see that. Still the kids had a wide variety of 'disability' dx and some of the worst I've seen. It was very hard to see and even more difficult to explain. Let me just say it was one of my hardest days spent today.
To top it off, I locked my self out of my room. Mark, my hide a key plan didn't work very well but I did finally manage to get in....by knocking a slat out of the window. Might have to have plan B if someone is going to lock my window.
I'm looking forward to tomorrow...it will be better I'm pretty sure of it.

No comments: