Monday, January 19, 2009

Redcaps and dodo birds

Noel and I went to the airport to pick up Sue...its always such a trip to go to the airport. For one thing, there are 3 men who have been there for years and who recognize me now as easily as I recognize them. One is very tall & slender, kind of distinguished and kindly, the other is much shorter and rounder- speaks pretty good english and calls himself the big boss and the other is the one arm man that out works others...there are the redcaps in their crisp gray uniforms that seem to take turns pushing their way to help someone, even the ones who keep saying no, go away. The tan shirts- like Boot, the one arm man. The boss has more than once gotten money from me to pay the ones helping me only to disappear and leave me to pay my helpers 'again'. I'm a little slow but think I'm on to his game now.
So our trip started out with Noel taking a short cut to the airport- I've been that direction one other time and am very surprised that it takes less time- probably because there is few cars/ people because the roads can not be called streets, the driver goes from one side to the other trying to find the shallowest pothole or the least rubble. We seemed to wait for the longest time but its very entertaining to me to watch people. Those that are waiting, those that come out of the airport trying to maneuver their luggage cart full of bags, boxes and whatever else they managed to bring on the plane without running into someone, fending off offers of help from 6 redcaps or brown shirts-note to team the brown shirts seem more pleasant, less pushy for the most part- and trying not to run over those waiting (and not moving out of the way). Some people come out looking a little over whelmed- first time visitors? Some come looking tired or bored, disinterested in anyone around them and determined to get through the crowd of people with minimal politeness. Some frazzled, some searching the crowd and smiling brightly as they spot a loved one. I saw some that maybe were musicians coming for carnival as many people seemed to recognize them and they had were a little more hip with lots of bling and assumed that they should be helped with their luggage.
The cooks made hamburgers for Sue and I today...really the first 'lunch' I received in my first 10 days and the best burger I've had in Haiti- my 3rd one but definately the best.
There is a strange bird - I think it is a bird- I haven't actually seen it but have heard it for the past several days. It has a very loud noise it makes- not unpleasant or annoying but more funny like a cartoon dodo bird or something. It makes me want to laugh. I hope I can see it sometime but the foliage on the trees is very lush.
Little Ricky has a friend, Geiko- maybe they are brothers, one is slightly smaller but they also provide entertainment for me and at the same time keeping the bug population to a minimum in my room.
The next wave of Minnesota team will be arriving a little later this afternoon- it will become a different atmosphere around here I'm sure...
Its kind of cloudy and I thought it might rain a little but maybe it will pass to the mountains.

No comments: