Monday, January 26, 2009

MInustuh- United Nations

Something of a busy weekend this weekend...but relaxing as well.
Some team members began leaving Friday and some Saturday. One group went to Indigo Beach for overnight and had a good relaxing time. The rest stayed here, did a little work in the P&O clinic (prosthetics and orthotics lab), relaxed.
I was invited to go to a party at the United Nations / Minustuh- not sure how to spell it- for the Chinese New Year Celebration. They showed on- going video of the Olympics moments, had some cultural activities- dancing, chinese kung foo, songs and a huge buffet of chinese food- the Haitians are quite particular about their rice for sure- no sticky rice for them. It was funny to look around a see what they would eat and seemed amazed that I would try and eat and like what I was eating. I had some 'Chinese' rum though I think it was more likely spiced saki- It was discusting really. My friend Jackies husband works for the UN. Ewald also works there but his grandfather died this week so he was helping his mom to make some arrangements. I'm not sure yet if he is planning to go to Les Cayes for the funeral-
This morning some of us went down to St. Vincents to take some supplies- didnt' make it to the van so another trip...and for some of the guys to meet other guys to talk supplies etc. To back up a little Physicians for Peace were supposed to arrive yesterday and only one actually made it- the others were stuck in Miami. All were to leave tomorrow for the Dominican Republic for a conference. Gil is a P&O that is works for Hangar and lives in Virginia. He is Dominican and has family there. But I plan to have him write his colleagues i n Portland and ask them to step up and join the Portland team.
Or at least support their efforts and offer us supplies...Sissy, maybe you can give them a little heads up- we still use Hangar don't we?
We tried to find a special ed school downtown we heard about but couldn't find. Joel drove and drove..so will need to have more contact info. Shaun?

I came to find that a Madam Cheap was here but I got distracted by different people and didn't make it up to see her. NO worries, now I know she is still alive, I'll see her. We are to go to the art co op soon as well I think. I had a pedicure today for $10- I think it was really just $6 and I tipped her big for coming here- she gave Natalie a pedicure and manicure before she left for the DR. Now I have pink toes...

Some people left today and the remaining team members will leave tomorrow. So a little last minute shopping.
I will take a picture of the new rehab institue and try to attach them later today.
back to work....

No comments: