Monday, March 30, 2009








Apparently I have two standards for patience in Haiti...I have come to accept in my job and in all work related that patience is one of the requirements. I can't rush things to get results- they will happen on Haiti time. I even stressed this to my team when they arrived, they are on Haiti time now. You can not get upset- it does no good other than make you upset. However, this weekend I found myself becoming impatient. It was my time and I did not want to 'waste it'. We went to Les Cayes...I had been told several times it takes about 3 hours to drive...I knew better as it is 2 1/2 hours to Jacmel over the mountain but half the distance. We left Port au Prince (the guesthouse) at 4 pm- there were 4 of us and we picked up a 5th person about half way into the trip and arrived 10 minutes short of 5 hours. I was tired and upset (we had hit a dog almost on arrival) and it seemed only to bother me. The driver did make an attempt to miss it and short of running head on into a bus we had little choice. Still....I did not join the group going out but went to sleep. The next morning it was raining. I was told we probably couldn't go to the orphanage- crossing the sea to the island because of this. As this was the main purpose of the trip, I said if the boat is there, we will go- we won't melt. Of course, it stopped raining and we made the trip. It took about 45 minutes to cross and at first the swells were kind of high 1-2 feet at times but more fun than not. Ewald was pretty nervous for the first 30 minutes but then relaxed when he realized he wasn't going to drown. The sun came out about 1/2 and the sea calmed considerably. We spent the next 4 hours talking with Sr. Flora about her orphanage and many many things she needs..A little history here. Sr. Flora came to this island - originally from Quebec- about 28 years ago although I believe she had abeen in Haiti longer. She has 66 kids living with her, 19 of these disabled. Currently she has 3 babies...a tiny 2 month old born 2 months early and weighs about 6 pounds now. The other 2 appear healthy and about the same size though one is 3 months and the other 7 months. Some of the older kids go to school in Les Cayes, crossing the sea on Monday and return Friday, boarding during the week. Some of the others go to school on the Island. There are about 450 kids on the island that go to school on the island. I'm not sure if any of the Island kids go to Les Cayes to school- Sr. Flora expressed concern about paying the teachers for the final 3 months of school this year. Anyway, we finished up and joined the sister and her 2 other guests for a small lunch of rice, mild piklis and banan and I had a delicious cup of very good french tea offered by the guest.
Returning to Les Cayes, although the sea was calm, we made the crossing in less time. Ewald had said we would go to Port Salut upon return and meet up with the Utah team that was spending the weekend at the beach. Back to my lesson in patience- we didn't leave until 6 pm for the 35 minute drive. We caught up with the team as they were leaving the bullfights. I was hoping to catch this- This bullfight is different from Mexico where matadors fight the bulls. This is a match where the owners bring their bulls and if one owner thinks his bull will fight and win will start the bets and if the bulls decide they want to fight each other then there is a fight until one turns away. Thus the win. It is in an open field so the spectators have to be alert as well as they are surrounding the bulls. There were 4 opportunities for matches..the first I think no one was betting, the second the bulls weren't interested much and the final 2 were pretty good from the reports and video that I saw. But I digress from my lesson....I was visiting with some of the team members and had just gotten a drink when I was told it was time to go...what!!!??? I had just arrived. I stretched out my time for another 20 minutes until they went to dinner and my group returned to Les Cayes. Nothing much happened the rest of the evening- I waited but finally decided to go to bed. The next morning the plan was to have a little city tour, visit Ewalds mom and leave for Port au Prince at noon. Ewalds brother took me around on his motorcycle - I'm living large guys...no helmet- and we visited the Jesus Christ church, the soccer field (closed), the nicest hotel in Les Cayes, we drove by one of the Baptist churchs, the Lutheran church, the Catholic church, Ewalds mothers home, the morgue/funeral home, the police station and out to Jolie beach. They also gave me a tour of the tv/ radio station. Then I was returned to Ewalds sisters house to get ready to leave...we still had to visit his mom so we went there to meet her. Finally at 2 we left Les Cayes. Barely 2 hours drive the car broke down. WE sat at the side of the road while a half a dozen men tried to determine the problem and after 2 hours another car came and towed us to the next town, Petit Goave. This was a friend of Ewalds father and he gave us his car to finish our journey. I arrived home at 8:30 pm. I'm not sure what my expectations were with no real plans other than to meet Ewalds family and visit the orphanage- boths goals obtained but another lesson in patience..The car breakdown was beyond my control therefore nothing gained in being upset so I wasn't. Its Haiti time no matter what. Some disappointments sure but I met some lovely and loving people, a darling baby girl- Ewalds neice and had another adventure in Haiti.

No comments: