Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Web Visits-not spiders!

Although I nearly reached down and picked it up, I saw a fairly large spider. He looked exactly like the spiders on the little plastic rings at halloween. But luckily he moved before I could actually touch him! The following websites are of the internet variety so will not startle you or make you scream in fright!

On sushi night a few weeks ago, I met a man involved in a documentary film project he hopes will be accepted at Sundance and other international film festivals. The film gives voice and positive vision for the young people in Haiti and their love of their country and what they are doing to make a better life for themselves and their family.
This link to the website tells a little of the history of the country and about the movie and also has some pictures.
www.repiblik.com

A few days ago I met a young woman, american, who is a photographer and living currently in Gonaives - a city that was hit very hard with after effects of the 4 tropical storms/ hurricanes. She was in Port au Prince having a little 'relief vacation'. She also has a website www.keelykernan.com

I also met a woman named Chris, an american who along with her husband moved here to start an orphanage 10 years ago. She told us of a story of saving 2 babies left in a garbage pile, maybe just days old. The babies are a testimony perservence and love and are seeming healthy babies several months old now. www.hishomeforchildren.com

These are representative of the people I meet living here- a wide spectrum of people with a shared basis of love for humanity and Haiti. I hope you enjoy their story as well whether in word or photos.

1 comment:

Lorie H said...

Hi Gail
I am more comfortable with sending you e-mails that aren't available to the whole world, but I thought I would try this out.
I continue to be amazed with the work you are doing. You and the teams of people who continue this work are truly an inspiration to all of us. Also, the stories such as the one of Joseph are incredible.
Thank you for the links to the websites. You are meeting some really interesting people. Also love hearing about what you're eating and seeing all the pictures. The pictures really tell the story.
The snow just keeps flying here in NE Washington and it is getting a bit tiresome. Rod, Kyle and I are going to see Tiffany for a week and looking forward to the warmer weather of Vegas.
Take care of yourself
Love Ya
Lorie