Sunday, March 22, 2009

A day or 10 minutes at the Zoo


ON our day of shopping yesterday, we had the opportunity to visit Haiti's zoo....in all my visits to this country this is the first time I have been. Its very small and the security guard was happy to show me the animals he cared for, wanting to explain about them. He took his job seriously and even though others were there wanted to make sure I saw all of them. Honestly, I could have gone 6 years or 16 years longer without seeing it.
These pictures minus one of the Boa constrictor and all 32 rabbits represent the zoo. There is one angry looking monkey (makak), an alligator, a sleeping Haitian snake, goats, peacocks, a turkey....pigeons oh and a very large lizard thing. I think these animals are pretty representative of the people in Haiti... angry, sad, resigned, eager for the food they are given...locked in a situation of not their choosing. How would they florish in another setting? It doesn't sound like a very nice way to describe people and I don't mean it disrespectfully in any way... but as a way to describe situations. I do think the rabbits are happy however.

No comments: