Monday, March 9, 2009

Bill and Wyclef Party

The staff gave me a very large birthday cake! It was very good, similar to a spice cake with a merangue type frosting. It tasted like my grandmas frosting she called 7 minute frosting. They wrote 'Bon Fet Gail' and they all sang Happy Birthday in creole. It was so very sweet!!! I wish I had it on video and someone did take pictures so I hope they will share them with me.

Ewald wanted to have a little party for me as well so we had cake and champagne with Pascale and Monno too and I had a real day off - no computer, no work- just visiting with friends, watching tv, playing cards, relaxing and more birthday cake.
Today the helicopters were cris-crossing the sky for hours..I assume because Bill Clinton along with Wyclef Jean and Paul Farmer and Mr. Ki-moon(UN president) were to meet with President Preval and the Prime minister, Mrs. Pierre I think her name is and pledge support for international assistance and to urge the country towards faster stabilization. They want to bring greater awareness to the needs of this troubled country. Much of the support that was pledged is slow to arrive and I think because of the economy but when the economy is hurting in other places it trickles down to put places like Haiti in even greater distress.
They visited a school, maybe in Cite Soleil. And will be here another day to talk to people and to visit other areas..I hope it makes much news in the states!
Today the team went on an outreach to Thomazeau. I was going to go but with all of the team, the translators and their supplies there really wasn't any extra space. I would have to ride on top like the goat on the tap tap bus.
They saw about 130 kids and enjoyed the long day of work. I don't really know where Thomazeau is but they have an orphanage and the group all agreed they have really made improvements in the past year. They arrived home about 5 pm in time for a quick jump in the pool and then supper~ American poulet, kabrit, piklees, salad, rice/beans and mushrooms and french fries. Desert was bananas in a sweet sauce covered with toasted coconut and green and red cherries.
I think I will eat one of my peanutbutter cups tonight for a treat!

I spent most of my day writing reports, sending email and answering email and talking to a man from Pap / Jacmel. He is the brother of Noel, one of our drivers. Maxxo has a Foundation called FOAMAVENDH - It means foundation for the improvement of the future of the Children of Haiti.
This is based in a small village outside of Jacmel called Casse and was destroyed several times since 1994 by hurricanes. He wants so badly to help the children here and the people of the area have given him 1/4 of an acre of land to build a clinic so they can have medical care. He also wants to build a safe shelter for the children to go to before the next hurricane. Since the last hurricane the river the children had to cross has become three small rivers. He said if saw the conditions they lived in I would cry.
I will try to visit before I leave Haiti. And I will try to get a team to do an outreach clinic.
Speaking of teams, mine is ready to start planning for next year. They want to come Feb 21- Mar 7. Bon bagay.

No comments: