Saturday, March 21, 2009

Another visit to General Hospital






















On Friday the team made a visit to General Hospital. I have mentioned this place before- the state run hospital that appears to be taken out of the movie Gone with the Wind. We went directly to the Abandoned Childrens Ward where we spent about 4 hours playing, exercising and feeding the majority of the kids. Some of these kids have been here for a very long time- a few of them- especially the older/ larger ones seldom get removed from the cribs they are in..no exercise means atrophy and weakness and lack of stimultion is evident. But a little stimulation and attention and many of the kiddos 'awaken' and laugh and respond. You leave this place full of emotions. Part of me wants to return everyday- just to hold them...and touch them and see a beginning of a smile. I don't want to think about how much I have done in my life in the past year and realize that during that time these children have not been out of their cribs. What is the PLAN for these kids? Questions without answers.






And this morning is another day- blue skies, moderate temperatures, a very slight breeze carrying a sweet aroma, childrens voices carried along, roosters of course crowing and birds of all kinds chirping; I am surrounded by this amidst the dozen or so different variety of trees and think where am I?

No comments: