Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Packing night in Portland

Its good that I have something to write about tonight...my team is at Angels' tonight packing everything up...at least I hope they are- I'm waiting on 'hold' to skype with them at some point. Ewald brought me his computer today on his lunch break- he has camera and microphone. My computer lacks both. I'm so excited about them coming next week...The majority is leaving a week from today and arriving on Thursday.

I'm a little nervous for them as for many it will be the first time to visit Haiti and some are a little nervous, a little anxious, very excited....I'm excited to show them the Haiti that I see when I come down here as well the one they will see when they get off the plane and take that first drive through the city. To look beyond the holes in the street, the garbage, the corruption; to see the people - to look beyond the poverty to see the hope, to see the spirit and sometimes you see the joy in their heart.
I am very nervous that I will overwhelm them with the work I am asking them to do- they will be working very hard and beyond their imagination. I know they will be successful in terms of meeting my expectations- no doubts about that. I hope that I can meet their needs throughout the 2 weeks. I have lots of things planned to balance the work load and hopefully allow them to let off some 'steam'. Between a large number of outreach clinics, clinic work, educational seminars with nursing students and orphanage outreach, we have a special night at St. Josephs, RAM, a beach day, and a special surprise that I am having a really hard time keeping a surprise. We are also going to Jacmel. I'm sure I'll have some things to share with you on all of those activities.

I have to say its going to be really interesting meeting all of the different teams coming over the next few months - the variety of personalities and styles etc. The team members that have been coming repeatedly over the years obviously have a common thread of love of Haiti and its people despite the unchanging poverty and problems experienced here.

The new people will come home with a lot to process, how the experience affects them and how they are able to sift through all of it will determine if they come back again. As team leaders, I hope we are able to help them find the balance they need to go from home to Haiti and back home again. Its tough. Family members will have to allow them time to process, listen to their experience even if they don't really understand and give lots of hugs. Those are my thoughts tonight- I loved talking to my team! lylt!

I had a late night last night, its late and tomorrow will be a long day - followed by a late night at the Oloffson....so Goodnight from Haiti.


(I do miss you comments and thoughts that I used to get when I sent email)

No comments: