Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Dr. Tiffany Keenen and her husband spent a couple days with us and I was able to get some valuable advice from her for our outreach clinics. I first met Tiffany on the TeamCoast to Coast- the combined Canada and Portland team in 2006. Since then she has started a clinic in the north of the country near Cap Haitian and comes several times a year with teams.

Today was spent mostly with my head over my computer answering last minute team questions, sending last minute tidbits of info as well as doing some planning for other teams. Stopped for my supper of Lasagna, salad and desert. Haitians make pasta dishes really well and this lasagna had a little kick to it and was really good.

Now I am awake - tired but not sleeping for whatever reason. I don't feel nervous or anxious, maybe just overly excited although I feel too tired to be excited.
I did get news that we won't be able to attend the the dance theater show at St. Josephs Boys Home due to electricity/ generator problems. I'm very disappointed in that for my team. It is a wonderful story told in dance form the history of Haiti and ends with some history of St. Josephs. They have some world class drummers and the troupe tours internationally to raise money to run their home. Michael came from the US and I think Minnesota to Haiti and while here he learned about the street kids. Upon return felt a calling to come back and get the kids off the street. He did this and with his help the boys run the home, take care of their own. Here is a link to their story: http://www.worldvision.org/worldvision/radio.nsf/stable/B95F8BF935117B3A8825726C00712290?OpenDocument
If this doesn't work you can google Resurrection Dance Troupe, Haiti and get more info.
I'm not sure how many boys live there now but how fortunate for them that Michael came into their lives.
Tomorrow - rather today I am planning a quick visit to Wings of Hope in Kenskoff to invite them to the OT education day we are doing, a stop at the bakery at the Baptist Mission, checking out the Caribbean Market where I heard you can get anything, picking up more chloroquine and looking for some scales to weigh babies and adults.
Mr. Cadet announced his replacement of manager of the HHH clinic Kay Kapab so I suspect it will be a busy few weeks with my team here, planning for the next 2 teams, the transition of new management and carnival going on.
So maybe I can sleep now that I've put all this out of my head....
Hope all is well with all of you. I heard Portland had a bit more snow-of course its winter but I can honestly say I'm happy to be in a sunny warm climate. In fact, yesterday I met with the director of medicine at the General Hospital and his office had air conditioning. I thought I would freeze to death before I could leave.
The hospital is a story on its own for sure but I was there to see if we could have some sort of partnership with visiting MD's but also with therapy which better fits with Healing Hands work. He said he would welcome therapists to visit patients immediate post op/ post stroke prior to discharge and then refer them to HHH clinic. I believe there is a therapy department at GH but obviously not functioning well if he says they don't have one.
Bonne nuit mon zanmi

No comments: