Thursday, June 11, 2009

Saying Thank You....

Today is a holiday here in Haiti- kind of cool and cloudy. Maybe a good day to go through some of accumulation of 'stuff' in my room.

I have less than a week here in this enchanted land of beautiful people. Usually Haiti has a long last name...Haiti, most impoverished nation in the Western Hemisphere...yes, it is poor and desparate and in need of so much but this is not not the only thing you should know about it. I've written 100 blogs, many of them detailed stories about Haiti, its people, its culture and many of them about my experiences. I've met so many people, Haitians that want to improve the lives of their fellow countryman.

Antonio, who became the new operations manager in February. He came from a background in banking and not knowing anything about the medical field but the people that hired him saw something good and right in the man. He tells me everyday when he walks through the clinic and sees the patients, he is newly inspired by the trust they place in us to provide medical care they otherwise don't receive. He sees the hope in their eyes for a better opportunity at living a more normal life after receiving a prosthetic. Soeurette's title is administrative director- she helps the teams get through the airport with their luggage filled with drugs, when once upon a time, we had to pay a bribe to get through (and it is by no means the only duties she has with HHH). She sometimes appears stern and tough but really she has a big old soft heart for her people. She could move to the US or Canada and have an easier life (currently, she is living without electricity- they told her it would be 3 months before it is restored to the area of the city she lives in). She has family in the states, but she feels the need to take care of her "Haitian" family, The people that work for HHH and the people that come to the clinic, the kids in the orphanages we visit. Jony is the clinic coordinator, over-seeing the staff in the clinic and has many other duties he takes on...he calls me his Angel and says I bring a ray of sunshine into his life. Antonio, Soeurette and Jony along with all of the people in the clinic, from Madame Justine and Lucienne, Kattia, Verny, all of the therapy techs, Schedula, the techs in the prosthetics lab, to Berny and Hercule in the depot, Jeune and Felonette, to the grounds keepers greet me each morning with "Bonjou Madame Gail, how was your night. Did you sleep well? How is your family- they are well?" Now they are beginning to say they are very sad that I will be leaving soon. They want to know how soon until I return. They say they appreciate that my family allowed me to come to help them. From Drs. Nau, Moise, Geneus and most recently Dr. Benjamin, from my friend Noel, his brother Maxo and Jorel (who doesn't tell me I need to speak creole like Colleen anymore) to all of the gals (Carmel, Mercia, Suze, Luna, Myrline and Syltane) in the guesthouse, John who has become a very good friend, and all of the others I've failed to mention are my inspiration. They cheer my meager attempts of creole, they have been kind to me, supported my work and most of all made me a better person. Its been an incredible experience and one never forgotten. I hope I've been able to provide a little insight to some of you who have read all of my words and wondering why I would volunteer to do this, a little inspiration to give back in your own way, or maybe even a little hope that we can make the world a better place by working together.

Healing Hands for Haiti teams try each time they volunteer to come here.
Its not enough to say Thank you but its all I have....

No comments: