Sunday, June 28, 2009

Life after Haiti

I've now been home about 10 days. I wondered about the adjustment and how I would feel about things. Adjustment to time isn't really difficult (I do enjoy the longer days of summer) but space is a little different. I havent' had to cook or clean or do laundry for about 6 months...(no dishes!) -just pick up after myself. Its always easy to see an over abundance in one's home after living in a minimal space. There is a lot of stuff everywhere. What do I do about it? How do I deal with it...I walked in circles mostly. Gave myself permission not to feel good or bad about it for now. Slowly I will start organizing the spaces around me.

I returned to work today...wondered how it would feel, what I would forget...but thankfully, the census was low enough that I only had 3 patients to worry about. I was a little slow, a little disorganized at first but Tammy and Janet were there to help. Melissa was giving me hugs all day which is always a good thing. I survived...but I must say my feet felt very confined and were happy to return to my flipflops when I got home!!! Since I work the next 2 days, I'm sure each day will get easier.

Tuesday is pie day...our annual celebration of summer and is usually held on the Thursday closest to the first day of summer but was postponed until my return. Everyone that works is supposed to bring a pie- their favorite and that is our lunch...someone will bring a pizza pie and someone might bring a quiche (it has pie crust) so we can have something besides just dessert if we want. It has over the years become one of our favorite days of the year...like a holiday for everyone.

News from Haiti...
I had news that my turtle disappeared...escaped or kidnapped, no one knows. Unfortunately they have no CSI's - maybe the UN has one but I'm doubtful of that. It disappeared sometime during the night on Friday. I guess they searched everywhere to no avail and I'm sure there is much saddness amongst the girls in the kitchen. I will rethink the pet thing next year.

Planning for next year will soon begin again. Angel and I will get together and discuss preliminary plans next week. We are always looking for help in the fund raising department so if anyone has ideas or wants to help support our team, let me know.

I look forward to any comments or questions you may have about my blog, the trip, the team, and team plans!

Thanks for reading....

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I love your mention of the space at home. When I came back from my very short 2 weeks in Haiti my house seemed huge (which it isn't) and filled with "stuff". It was overwhelming. How did we get so much stuff?

Welcome home, Gail!