Sunday, May 24, 2009

Random thoughts this Haitian Mothers Day!

This beautiful morning has turned a bit more humid and clouds are coming in-the mountain is shrouded in fog and maybe rain. I am hearing the thunder roll up there. The Utah 3 team left this morning, all expressing desire to return again, some even a bit sad to be leaving so soon. This is a feeling that I have much empathy with as I have about 3 weeks left of my nearly 6 months stay.
It is quiet now; The staff left for home or church, having done a quick clean up and helping me bury one of the turtles....yes, another one died. I should have held firm on my statement of not buying another one. Of course we don't know why and of course everyone was very sad. We still have one more but based on our experience, I suspect we'll be doing this again before I leave.
I saw one of the cats doing its job this morning, running across the courtyard with a critter in its mouth. There are several cats but I think they are ferral (sp) as I can not coax them to come close to me, but maybe a tame cat will be a better pet next year.
My neighbor, Stephania is gone for another week on her vacation to Costa Rica, Francine only has a few weeks left before returning to Quebec and Shaun will be leaving mid week as well but to Niagra Falls. Not sure that I will have the opportunity to see him before he leaves. Celine is still in Miami for a couple more weeks I think. It is her birthday today...we have a celebration when she returns by going to El Rancho for sushi night again.
I will try to visit the National Museum and the National Cemetary before I go...not sure what else I want to do.
June 1st is the official beginning of hurricane season. Already because of the heavy rains, it has been reported that 11 people have been killed. Yesterday we (the team and I) took a trip up the mountain, visiting a couple of orphanages, did a little shopping and had a late late lunch at a very nice restaurant in Kenskoff. Its much cooler up on the mountain and very pleasant. We stopped at Boutillier (sp) Lookout for a view of the city just before the clouds and fog came in. By the time we arrived at the restaurant the thick heavy black clouds were ready to spill..the rain came quite heavily for awhile and continued for another hour or so more lightly. The water was running like small raging rivers down the sides of the street as we drove down the mountain. I took a few pictures through out the day and will post some today to this site.
I had a little crackers and cheese for lunch, now maybe its time for a movie and a nap- or maybe nap and movie. Its that kind of day. Except with that last clap of thunder, it should have, possibly could have been heard in Miami! Holy cow! It is forboding to hear sounds like that as much as I enjoy thunder. The wind is picking up, causing breadfruit to fall from the trees with a thud, and I suspect a downpour shortly. I hope its short-lived for sake of the people.
I finish these random thoughts and post it in case of power outage/ storm.

Happy Birthday Celine, many happy returns. See you soon for sushi!

No comments: