Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mothers Day

Its been a long time since I have not spent Mothers Day with my family. In fact 2 of my children were born one day before and one day after Mothers Day- What greater gifts can one receive than that. Happy Birthday Danny, Happy Birthday Erin... hugs, kisses and love to you both! Thank you for your support and sharing your mom with people you don't know so far away from home. I hope one day that you'll be able to have an experience as fullfilling in your life, that you will give the gift of sharing your love and self with others less fortunate. It is the best part life.

We had a group of 9 disabled children with us here at the guesthouse on Friday. Because the clinic was so busy, we chose to bring them to the patio area to do our work with them. This group of children were so well behaved, patient and playful with us - Some of us were 'fighting' over one little boy and he finally said to us- we can all be his new mom. Such a lesson in sharing was demonstrated by all of the children- sharing the attention with us, sharing their toys with each other and even sharing the treats- making sure everyone had something. Karen taught sign language to a young man to help him better communicate, the O&P guys casted for splints and the occupational therapists taught stretching exercises to the care giver for different kids. Everyone participated play therapy and engaging children in different activities one on one as well as group. These kids are well loved, well cared for and it was a wonderful experience for this Mothers Day weekend.

Members of Team Canada have been leaving at different times all weekend with the last group planning to leave about 11 this morning. Its been such a pleasure to work with Colleen again- we've been on 2 other teams together - and Jeff, Huguette and Eric. This team of 20 was truely international with members from several provinces of Canada, from Colorado and Virginia, and one member flew in from Scotland. They were a lot of fun to work with and I shall miss all of them!

This morning I wore the shirt Team Canada gave to me...the staff were pretending I was leaving with the team and saying I can't go, I'm Haitian not Canadian so I agreed to stay longer and they all laughed. Then they said they were making me patay's...for that I will stay!!! Patay's - or pasties- or little meat or vegie 'pies'. I love them.

The next team arrives on Thursday and 2 of my friends from Portland arrived on Saturday but are travelling to Deschappelles and Cap Haitian before coming to see me on Friday.
For now, I'll enjoy a few quiet (relative of course) days and call my mom and mom in law, wish them a happy day.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

We miss you too!