Saturday, April 24, 2010

jSewing up heads....


You’ve probably heard me say Haitians are tough and resilient. or read it somewhere. It’s true. Update to last weekend injured worker...After being loaded into the van, he was taken to the Medishare tent where one of the docs was able to talk their way in to get him to be seen and possible xrays. Since the xray machine was not working, they just watched him for several hours and determined he probably had 3 broken ribs and possibly fx. scapula. He came back by the worksite the next day and wanted to do something. All the guys are now supposed to be equiped with hats, solid good fitting shoes and safety equipment including ropes.


Today one of the guys doing some cement work for us hit his head on a useless piece of reebar. I cleaned his wound, numbed it and sutured it...since it was on his head, butterfly tapes sutures weren’t going to work. I put in 3 stitches in the worst part and said a little prayer that they will stay in. Thanks to Dr. Corey B. it appeared as if I knew what I was doing. I’m sure I didn’t have kosher knots but it stopped bleeding and he said thank you. We gave him a beer and after a couple of photos, off he went.


I hope that is about as exciting as it gets this next 2 weeks. Antonio left on vacation this morning for 2 weeks.


No comments: