Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Hope for Haiti

I’m being treated to a pedicure today. Myrline wanted to do it for Easter but I was busy the day before so today she got me to sit long enough to give me a little spa treatment!

My feet will be much prettier for it! She is in her element. Myrline is the youngest of the guest house staff at 23. She is tall and lean, very pretty. Graceful like a colt.


Syltane is my room mate. She has been working for HHH since we moved to this guest house. We consider her a bit like Cinderella. Since she is the only staff member to live on the property, she is the first one up to make coffee and start breakfast, and she is the one to do the after dinner dishes. She is 30 years old and until earthquake was going to school. She wants to be a nurse. She is very nervous since the earthquake having seen the apartment collapse in front of her eyes, knowing the two people that died inside and the helpless feeling you can never imagine to do anything to save them. She is a bit shy, quiet - she is sometimes my mother, my sister, my daughter- but mostly my friend. We tease and laugh at silly things. She will sleep inside because I am brave enough to sleep inside.


Today the demo team arrived to begin the first stage of the process of clearing. They are breaking up cement and trying to recover some things in the rubble that may be recycled (rebar), reused (electric boxes) or recovered. There are about 8 guys and they are making progress already. I will have to borrow Antonio’s hard hat I think. Not a bad idea considering the bread fruit is dropping like bombs from the trees as well. They make a decent splat when very ripe! Its a good time to avoid the pool area...and they have promised to save the pool One day it will provide respite and team fun again.


I looked at some property today-potentially for a temporary clinic. I’m quite excited about it -Antonio said he might pour cold water over my head because I was so excited. It is large enough, handicapped accessible, on one of the main roads and really has everything we need to have to run as an outpatient clinic. Did I say I was excited. The owner is giving us first option and is very reasonable in his rent. Considering the last 4 places I looked at this is exceptional value! I wish Jeff and the powers that be were here today.


Lorne took off for his home on his motorcycle tonight...no helmet...no license. very scary I certainly trust my driving skills much more than his and would probably have a much greater chance of surviving the drive above Peytionville than he has tonight.


Judy has been working at Heartline Ministries filling in for the therapist that had to return to the states due to his son having an accident. Pre earthquake they were an orphanage (with adoptable children ) and womens center. They also provide women with sewing machines and fabric which they make into purses. My friend Pat and I had a ‘purse ‘ party and sold nearly 40 purses for $1000 for them. (Small world).

Now they have turned into a semi hospital with some ortho patients and amputees.

Judy is busy from 8- 4:30 everyday providing therapy with minimal equipment and being very OT inventive.


Schools have begun again in some parts of the city. Good news for the children. We drove by some of the former school sites that are beginning to take shape in terms of being cleared and walls being built. It is enough to give us hope.


and my feet look great after the pedicure!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear progress is being made, and finding a possible new location is exciting news. Once the debris is removed, things will probably look better. I remember that from disaster assignments, just clearing the damage helped brighten the world... a wee bit, the damage is still there, just helps... if that makes sense... Hang in.. hope to connect when you get home... K