Saturday, April 17, 2010

In line skaters...

Another trip to the airport today to get the second wave of Team Minnesota... I love going to the airport, testing my limits. There is 2 sections before you go inside of the terminal. The red caps are allowed into the first section for the most part. Many people stand outside of the fences. Then there is the canopied area where some people are allowed to wait and where people leaving the terminal gather before heading into the chaos.
Some days the police and airport officials are tougher than usual making everyone wait outside the fence. Then its good I have a friend named Jackson. Once he sees me, he tells the officials I'm the big boss and they let me in. Jackson has just one arm and has been working at the airport as long as I've been coming. He told me he has 5 children and they are all fine. He lost a cousin and his sister but he said many people lost more. He lost his house and does not have a tent. He wouldn't elaborate on where he lived, just quietly said its hard and he has good kids. I promised him a tent when I get some.
If I happen to talk with another red cap, they will assume I am 'hiring' them and boy if they encroach on Jacksons territory trying to get a cartful of luggage from my team without Jacksons ok....there is loud verbal exchanges. Team members are usually a bit deer in the headlight but I know Jackson will win out so just try to keep anyone extras from getting involved. Its kind of fun...
I also try to make friends with one of the policeman or officials as I wait, if I look a little concerned they will make sure I get inside to make sure team members have arrived. Its an amusing past time while sitting and waiting for a team.
However, I do owe 3 people tents now too.

Coming home from the airport today we were following a truck with 2 boys hanging on the back, hitching a ride. They were on inline skates and flying down the road, watching closely for potholes and rubble which they had to jump over. They wore knee pads and elbow pads. First time I've seen that....impressive and nerve wracking at the same time.

No comments: