Friday, April 17, 2009

April 16, 2009

Yesterday was hot, humid and emotional. I had a visitor, Mr. Hanson a pastor from Minnesota that has been coming to Haiti in 1986. He most recently heard about Healing Hands and through a number of people he learned about me being here, contacted me and made arrangements to come. I gave him a tour of the clinic and of the property. He brought his friends including children from the orphanage they run. This home is called Mefibochet House and has 17 disabled children. Antonio and I will be visiting next week and I have already made arrangements for 2 teams to visit as well next month. I'm very excited to be a part of this new partnership for HHH. One of the little boys that came walks on his hands due to mishapen legs. I was told he is so agile on his hands, he plays soccer and is so fast the other boys can not get the ball from him. Two of the little girls walked in using walkers - six months ago were unable to walk and scooted about on the ground.

I have to share some sad news...if you have been keeping up with the blog you know that we had a little turtle. Yesterday we discovered that he died.
Our guesthouse staff was very sad. We had a little burial for him in his garden. Of course, I have no idea why....turtles are supposed to live for a very long time!!!! Everyone wants me to buy another one and Noel says next week he will find out where he can buy one and what they eat that we weren't giving him.

The senatorial elections are to be held this Sunday...its holds promise of being very interesting in terms of disruption promised by the Lavalas party who has been locked out of participation. Most likely to be seen in the capital. From some things that I've read, in the departments- areas outside of the city- there is more voter apathy. This is due the people not knowing the candidates and the candidates not taking their message to the people.
Again, I wish that I could understand the radio talk shows to know more.
I've made promises that I will not take a ride on the water truck to Cite Solay! In fact, will spend time at the pool and listen to the the atmosphere around me.

Celine picked me up for dinner last night- we went to my favorite Italian place for dinner and I had ravioli filled with pesto, shrimp and mushrooms in a type of alfredo sauce. Oooh sooo gooood!

No comments: