Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Life in Haiti...this week.

Its been a couple of weeks now since I have written - I'm not sure if its because I've been busy or if it means I have not been inspired to put words to 'paper'. I know I've been reading a lot- 2 books that have hooked me so that even when the book falls into my face at night, I try to read a little more...It is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl that Played with Fire series.

We've had a variety of visitors through here in the past month. Some that volunteer their services on behalf of HHH and the work that we do in rehabilitation and some that use our house for a hotel. Our house though it needs work, is a respite area. It sits on 4+ acres with many trees. The staff are kind, food is generally quite good, and despite the crazy rooster and Crazy Hen and the noisy birds that sound like monkeys, it is peaceful.
One of our visitors was a group of people with a sanitation product for the water. They put it in our water system and told me the water was safe enough to drink. However, since they seemed to refuse to shower in the water, how am I to trust their product. Then when our tank was empty, they assumed I had it drained. I can only laugh at this. I consider our water a precious commodity and would never empty a tank full of water unless I was told it was causing us all to be ill. Since none of us are ill....well, it was a good joke on them apparently. I'm sure they have very good intentions, and hope to eventually sell their product. No further comment necessary.
For the most part we have some extremely nice volunteers and guests that come through the guest house. I'm proud to get to know them a little bit, happy they are willing to give up time, money, vacation, and their expertise to come to know the Haitians and their country and their culture.

The weather has been fabulous...with occasional bits of rain at night. Only one really good downpour which most people were happy to receive. Low 90's during the day, low 70's is as cold as it gets at night. When all my friends north of Florida report all the freezing temperatures, snow, ice, storms it is with grace and thankfulness that I am not cold, nor complaining about the heat. Snow is sometimes pretty but so is the sunshine, blooming trees and greenery we have surrounding us.

Its carnival time in the city-Monday and Tuesday. Last weekend was the traditional carnival in Jacmel where it all started. I didn't go as much as I would like to see the parade of masks. Here in Port au Prince it is usually held down by the National Palace, with viewing stands being built surrounding the park areas. However, all of the park areas are filled with camps. We saw one viewing stand that is for the mayor and other dignitaries, but no other stands so my guess is the million or so people that usually attend will be in the street. Not sure how that will work out for the floats and other people to parade through. As it won't likely be a good place to be, we'll have to forgo the experience once again. I have heard that they are spending 90 million gourdes on carnival. I can' t imagine that they would do this with current problems of homelessness so I hope it is just a rumor. If true, I am willing to join in the manifestations it should inspire. We will have some days off though so mostly likely I will try to work on my tan...
I've added a link to the end of my article that gives a little history to the Oloffson Hotel. Its probably one of the few places I've been to more than 2 dozen times. Actually the only other place I've been to more is the airport. Happy reading and as one of my dear friends says Keep smiling!


http://www.economist.com/node/21016453

No comments: