Thursday, March 10, 2011

Another Birthday in Haiti

This week was my birthday...I think it was the 4th that I have spent in Haiti in the last 4 years. I have to say this one was quite nice but then I would have to admit to a bit of self indulgence....pampering at a local spa that we have found. It was a lovely day to share with my friends, Fiona, Al and Deb. The team from Utah brought me a few gifts including the 3rd book in the series I am reading (and look forward to returning to at the end of each day) and some pool furniture in the way of blow up air mattress/ chair with a drink holder. I have to say I am looking forward to Saturday and testing it out if I don't pass out from trying to blow it up.

We visited a new to us orphanage that cares for disabled children. I keep wondering why we hadn't found it before but that is the way things are in Haiti and with organizations - a term I use to encompass all groups that that come to Haiti to provide service or mission work- not knowing who is working here. Anyway, they have a large area near the airport, with gardens, rabbits, fish, chickens and children. Play structure, a small soccer field, classrooms, etc. They actually have 100 children but only 16 or 17 disabled children. Their story is very similar to all other orphanages we partner with in terms of taking care of the children. Someone had recently given them some very nice chairs for each of the children so HHH volunteers will offer and provide some care giver training and therapy for the children.

Carnival was relatively calm...Fiona and I could not attend the festivities but Jorel gave us some glitter to wear to the airport and feel festive at any rate. I have not heard of any problems associated with carnival. Jorel attended and said there was lots of music and people.
I had heard the bands might boycott and he said the music was cd's so maybe they did. I hope so.

Short and sweet tonight....need to go read 'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest".

No comments: