Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bon bagay....

well, theres a title for you.
I had clinic open today by myself. Its started out with cleaning and banaging 4 of the little ragamuffins from the shanty town that have been coming around. Everyday they they help us carry our stuff down to the tent clinic, they play wildly all day on the pet carts or hang around until end of clinic and help carry everything back up. Then they line up and get a chewable vitamin and the past few days a small cup of milk mixed with instant breakfast. Today there were 16 of them and my sweet little girl was missing- her mom came and took her home this morning because she thought they were too wild. (sometimes they are). But today they were all very orderly and I know Mark and Marco and Lars will probably not believe me. They helped me unroll the tent sides to drain out the rain water and roll them up again. After clinic we unrolled them again in case it rains. (I wonder how many will try to sneek in and sleep there after dark).
I saw about 12 patients though some of them were there for therapy. Some I'll have come back on monday when Dr. Darla is here but mostly just needed some tylenol, ibuprofen or benedryl.
One of our stroke patients lost his son just prior to the earthquake and his son was in the morgue waiting for burial when the quake buried him, another son was injured in the quake and subsequently died from his injuries. He was so sad, he said he felt like he would explode and then he cried. After therapy, he brought his wife to meet me. We hear these strories everyday. My heart breaks for everyone of them. They have such sadness in their eyes.

The staff worked very hard today to prepare the guesthouse for my team's arrival beginning in the morning. Four people arrive Friday, 13 +1 arrives on Saturday.

For dinner tonight I had accra!!! and banan pesay!! and poul and tomatoes and lettuce AND not a single grain of diri or bean insight! BON BAGAY! Tomorrow night I am getting macaroni and cheese au gratin and bbq poul!
A bottle of Corona, a episode or season of Seinfeld and pistache for snack...like I said Bon bagay.