Monday, August 5, 2013

Haiti vs Portland


Writing about my journey in Haiti is more difficult when I am not there to be inspired to write.  Since my journey brought me back home to Portland in May, it’s very much a different life style. As I wrote before, purging and organizing is still going on- I guess 30 years of collecting (and living a normal life)  will take a little longer to sort than I expected.  Also, living on a reduced salary limits some activities so no excuses for not doing the sorting and organizing I can’t exactly do a kitchen remodel however much I’d like it. 

Ideally, I would be watching the guest house building progressing, not feeling concern for the well-being of our staff and hosting volunteers however I’ve been given a summer, a teachers summer if you will to enjoy family, participate in life events of 3 weddings,  catch up with friends’ lives,  renew my enjoyment of cooking. As I write this the mouth-watering aroma of dinner is filling the house. Chicken with pesto is roasting to be accompanied by fresh garden veggies- tomatoes and cucumbers and corn on the cob from the farmers market will be roasted on the BBQ.  Sounds yummy, doesn’t it?  My favorite has been spinach salad with blueberries, goat cheese, pecans and strawberry  vinaigrette- the perfect accompaniment to honey thyme pork chops, creamy garlic pasta or parmesan tilapia.  The guesthouse cooks make good meals, the food –especially fruit and vegetables are fresh so the difference is that I’m doing the cooking.
 

It’s been a perfect time to be in Portland. After the initial week of cold weather with my feet in socks and a space heater 6 inches away from me, I’ve adjusted to the weather. Ha, of course it helps to acclimate when it is 80+ degrees and nothing but sunshine. The few mornings we’ve had marine air haven’t been uncomfortable.  Walking to the farmers market, to the store or other places, gives me a sense of freedom I haven’t felt in a long time.  Most of the time in Haiti, I am with someone and rarely walk any distance to places.  Walking in Haiti requires some logistical planning. Rarely am I alone or at a place that I can safely walk other than on the property.  

 The point is change is inevitable and to embrace the challenges that come from change.  That has been my challenge. Given the opportunity of living in two countries so very different yet not so different, accepting the differences, and appreciating the value of the experience. 

1 comment:

S Kiesling said...

Cooking with sharp knives? ;)