Sunday, June 2, 2013

Leaving Haiti

It was an emotional couple of weeks. Closing up the guest house- packing all of the household items to move to storage, telling the staff goodbye, leaving my dog with Andy all left me exhausted and tearful. I wonder where this emotional stuff comes from. I will be back in a few months when the new guesthouse is finished. I'm sure that it is an accumulation of emotions- probably years actually. I've decided that a break will be good for me and I should take time to reflect and reenergize. I will take time to re-connect with family and friends and enjoy the time together that coming for a week or 2 vacation does not allow. And I still have to do some work.

Reintegrating and adjusting:  After being away for the better part of 4 years, my Portland house is more like what you'd imagine a bachelor pad to be like. So while much of the first week at home was cold, gray and rainy, I turned into a crazy person wanting to get everything clean and organized. It wasn't enough that I could flip a switch without thought that a light would shine, that I could step into the shower and it would be hot and soothing. It wasn't in me to sit back a watch a basketball playoff game and relax. I worked through the emotions by purging more tangible touchable stuff. I went through closets and dressers, filling paper bags with clothes and stuff to give away. There are all kinds of books about organizing and storing, heck there is a television show about hoarding...but I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to get 30 years of accumulated stuff sorted any faster or easier than 4 years of Haiti emotions or vise versa.

No comments: