Sunday, June 3, 2012

Grand Opening of Healing Hands for Haiti Clinic

We have had our Grand Opening...and here is where I would have posted some photos of the big event we've been looking forward to for the past year. However, before I downloaded my pictures, I was taking a photo of some new Jerry graffiti and a little rat thief ran by and snatched my camera from my hands. He ran and disappeared quickly. This is an unfortunate but frequent occurrence on the streets of Port au Prince. One that I am well aware of happening and usually take greater precautions to prevent it from happening to me.  I was very angry mostly at myself but disappointed at losing the photos that I took May 22nd.  The photos posted here are from Mike Murphy with appreciation.



The clinic was dressed up with colorful balloons, chairs dressed with white covers and red bows and guests milling around admiring the 'artwork' that Lars had hung, the skylight, the therapy rooms...representatives from the government were there, news people were there, board members and guests, colleagues from other organizations, representation of our patients- in all maybe 200 folks listened to speeches, watched the  dancers and enjoyed a light lunch. Segments appeared on the local television for several days afterwards.

Our guest house has been spruced up a bit - a new ceiling installed, a new coat of exterior paint in a bold spicy orange color gives it a new look. We've got some new furniture that is very nice and comfy. The kitchen also got a new coat of paint- its brighter and cleaner.
We still have a little bit of fixing up to do but it looks inviting and homey and comfortable.
I'll be going to Portland for a break soon. Ewald is graduating from college and was chosen as the only student speaker at his commencement ceremony. No way I want to miss that.


No comments: