Sunday, October 3, 2010

October 3, sunny warm sunday morning, crickets chirping, fan whirling at ceiling and not really helping cool my office but then it also doesn't make paper airplanes of all my paperwork on my desk. I woke up at 5:45 wondering who I had forgotten and where were they...luckily, I hadn't forgotten anyone.
Gracie went out and tried to play with the pig again this morning- she tries so hard to get the pig to play only to be very much ignored. The pig freezes until she goes away. Its funny to watch her jump and pounce and swat and circle but after 10 minutes she gives up. The pig just isn't as much fun as an empty plastic soda bottle. Crazy Hen won't play either- she just flies away.
We had a team turn over this weekend with about 25 people here last night- about a dozen leaving this morning and 7 coming in this afternoon. It will be a busy week again. Some of the team will go up to Cap Haitian for better part of the week and the rest will stay here to teach a care givers class to parent of children with hydrocephalus and some will visit orphanages over the course of 2 weeks. The schedule is a transportation maze with people going in different directions. With a lot of patience, people will get to where they need to be and we'll pull it off but it will be a challenge.
We had a troubadour band play for the team last night as a send off for the team leaving and a welcome to the team that arrived yesterday. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and the music very much.

I had a huge surprise on thursday- sitting in my office and talking on the phone trying to conduct some business and looked up to see a very familiar face...my son, Andy walked into my office. I was literally speechless for 10 minutes. Its very comforting to say the least to have him here, to meet the people I work with. Of course he is learning Haitian time as he has waiting for friend of Ewalds to pick him up to show him the 'night life' in PaP. Manno says at 6:30, I'll be there in an hour and 4 hours later shows up. He's visited a couple of nightclubs and danced the night away with some very aggressive women from the sounds of his stories. Not sure a mother is supposed to hear those things but its Haiti and the reality of what its like. I don't know if this aggressiveness is particularly new since the earthquake and the desperation people have but I suspect its not new but more so in terms of aggressiveness. He might go to the beach today with Manno and hang out with me for the next few days before he has to leave on Wednesday morning. The staff is thrilled that he has come to visit his mom almost as much as she is.

Since our wild cyclone weather of a week ago, we've just had a bit of rain here in Port au Prince. Apparently in the south they have had some heavy rain causing flooding and mudslides and loss of 7 lives. We have to be thankful for a relatively mild hurricane season with so many people in tent cities. We don't know what tomorrow will bring but for today, I will enjoy the peacefulness of this sunday morning sunshine and visiting with my son.

No comments: